Going bald is one of the greatest concerns of many young men, and it’s easy to understand why. The hairstyle is arguably the most important part of our look. Losing a noticeable amount of hair before reaching our forties might have a huge impact on our confidence and self-esteem.
If, in some cases, it is possible to easily disguise the lack of hair with a few little tricks, in others, it is nearly impossible. Men simply have to embrace it and shave their heads.
Or get hair transplants – in recent years, there has been a growing demand for this surgical intervention. After all, it is a great solution for men who can’t solve their hair problems otherwise.
Before we start discussing a few effective ways to prevent hair loss, it is important to learn more about this problem and its main causes.
What is hair loss?
Hair loss is an extremely common issue, affecting one in every three people worldwide. It starts almost unnoticed. Then, all of a sudden, the hairline begins to recede, exposing the scalp on top of the head. It can equally affect any other part of the body.
Genetics is the main cause of hair loss, and sadly there’s not much you can do about it. The medical term used to refer to this condition is androgenic alopecia (also known as male/female-pattern baldness).
So, if there is a family history of balding on your mother’s or father’s side, you should be prepared for the worst-case scenario. Other common hair loss causes include hormonal changes, medications, stress, and hairstyles or hair treatments.
Fortunately, there are a lot of hair loss prevention products and techniques you can use. Let’s check some of them.
How to prevent hair loss?
1. Try not to stress yourself too much
As we have already said, stress can cause hair loss. It can do so in three different ways: trichotillomania (literally pulling hair out of the scalp), telogen effluvium (a scalp disorder in which the hairs begin to shed at an abnormal rate), or alopecia areata (an autoimmune skin disease that results in scalp hair loss).
Taking into consideration the pace of modern life and all its demands, most people are forced to manage day-to-day stress as best as they can. It’s not always easy, and that is why stress is a serious problem that should be taken seriously.
Regular exercise and meditation are some of the things that might help you deal with stress. There are many others, and you just have to make an effort to find one that works for you. Working with a professional might also help you tremendously, so keep that option in mind!
2. Vitamins To Prevent Hair Loss
Vitamin A, B, D, and E are all extremely important if you want to keep your hair healthy. Together they promote the production of sebum in the scalp, hair cycling, blood circulation, and help maintain its natural color. Iron, zinc, selenium, and biotin can also promote hair growth and retention.
According to a study published in the Dermatol Online Journal in 2010, vitamin D deficiency can even cause hair loss.
The authors analyzed a series of published research papers and concluded that the vitamin D receptor plays a very important role in the first stage of the hair growth cycle – the anagen phase.
3. Avoid Tight Hairstyles And Harsh Treatments
A hairstyle is a form of expression. It is fascinating how it can showcase someone’s personality. However, some care is needed to maintain the hair’s health. Most importantly, men should avoid frequently dyeing their hair and using products packed with harsh chemicals.
It’s also a good idea to avoid tight hairstyles. The men bun is the perfect example. This hairstyle became hugely popular in the past few years among men, but the truth is that it puts a lot of pressure on the hair. Over time, it will damage the hair follicles and potentially lead to hair loss.
4. Healthy Eating Habits
By now, you should know everything about the importance of eating a healthy and balanced diet. What you may not know is that it also strongly influences the health of your hair follicles.
They are essentially made of a protective protein called keratin that your body can also get through food. Some great foods to prevent hair loss include fish, lean meats, healthy fats, and soy.
It is worth mentioning that a study published in 2018 found that the famous Mediterranean diet may significantly reduce the risk of male (and female) pattern baldness. That’s a healthy, balanced, and delicious option for you! Oh, and don’t forget to drink a lot of water.
5. A Good Haircare Routine
When it comes to hair loss prevention, your hair care routine is key. Here are a few things you should do to keep your hair in perfect shape.
– Wash your hair every day. Use a mild shampoo to stop hair loss.
– Give your hair an oil massage from time to time. Coconut oil, for example, can help prevent hair damage caused by exposure to UV light.
– To hydrate your hair, you can make a hair mask by simply combining one teaspoon of honey, one egg, and 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar. Apply this mix to your hair and leave it on for at least half an hour before rinsing. This is the perfect way to hydrate your hair at home without spending a huge amount of money on professional products.
– If you notice that your hair is not growing at the same rate it used to, it’s time to make a natural hair mask for growth with an avocado! Mash the avocado and mix it with ¼ a cup of olive oil and one tablespoon of lemon juice. Apply the resulting soupy mixture to your hair and rinse it properly after 15 minutes. Besides promoting hair growth, the olive oil will hydrate your hair, and the lemon juice will prevent dandruff – which can cause hair loss indirectly.
– Talk to your hairstylist about the products you use at home and your hair care routine. He will tell you if you’re doing something wrong and how to fix it.